Monday, July 23, 2007

Interesting Book?

I just finished perusing this book: http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Theology-Cultural-Interpret-Exegesis/dp/0801031672/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4282884-2067964?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185251439&sr=8-1

If you want to waste your time finding out about the spiritual parts of Eminem and the movie Gladiator, the grocery store checkout line and MySpace, then this book is for you. Now I realize that we need to understand our culture - to an extent. I also know what Romans 16:19 says...Gentlemen, this is what is coming out of "one of the best theological minds in evangelicalism" in one of the strongest and most "academic" training centers in evangelicalism.

It is also interesting that one of the endorsements for this book is Mr. MacLaren himself. I have suspected for awhile that Vanhoozer is a part of the emerging/ent church. I have not yet found a genetic link, but there are ideological links.

1 Timothy 6:20 - 2 Timothy 1:1 O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called "knowledge," 21 for by professing it some have swerved from the faith. Grace be with you.

If the culture is rotten to the core, perhaps Christianity ought to offer a different culture...

2 comments:

Jason Stamper said...

Vanhoozer's affinity for the emergent church has puzzled me as well. Where does he stand? Certainly he must maintain some distance since he still operates with categories of truth. Incidentally, I just finished Carson's Becoming Coversant with the Emergent Church. I wonder if our friends at TEDS fully appreciate the diversity of opinion there. Apparently, not all of their faculty are enamored with the emergent church.

CWatson said...

I recently re-read this book as well. I'm going to blog a quote from the last page and interpret it one of these days.